Editor’s note: The GCM team will be doing our best to maintain an up-to-date feed of announcements on this page. If you have news you think belongs here, please email Scott Hollister.
Wednesday, May 3
- Talking Rock Golf Club in Prescott, Ariz. recently welcomed Shawn Scott as the club’s Director of Golf and John Cannon as Head Golf Professional and Director of Instruction. Scott and Cannon will lead the private club’s
golf operations including day-to-day operations, tournaments, golf instruction and retail management. Scott has 19-plus years of golf industry experience, having most recently served as director of golf at Whirlwind Golf Club, a 36-hole facility
in Chandler, Ariz. Cannon is a 16-year veteran of the golf industry and is an accomplished player; regularly competing in Southwest Section PGA tournaments.
Tuesday, May 3
- Ironhorse Golf Club in Leawood, Kan. has retained its designation as a "Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary” through the Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program for Golf Courses, an Audubon International program. Ironhorse
was first designated as a Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary in 2014. After designation, courses go through a recertification process every three years. Ironhorse Golf Club is one of only nine golf courses in Kansas and one over 900 courses
in the world to hold certification from Audubon International.
Thursday, May 18
- The employee-owners of PBI-Gordon Corporation announced today that Matt Steward has joined the company as senior director of national accounts. Patrick Bastron has joined the company as a sales representative for Illinois and Indiana.
As senior director of national accounts, Steward will lead the national accounts team in all aspects of account management in the turf and ornamental markets of golf, landscape, and professional lawn care. As a sales representative, Bastron will
be responsible for PBI-Gordon product sales to golf course and turfgrass management customers in Illinois and Indiana.
Friday, May 19
- SiteOne Landscape Supply announced its partnership with Automated Outdoor Solutions (AOS) to expand SiteOne’s robotic mower product offerings and create a robust national model to provide aftersales and service
support, installation and financial solutions for robotic turf care equipment. The partnership expands SiteOne’s robotic mower offerings and further solidifies its position as a knowledgeable supplier of robotic equipment. The partnership
will also launch AOS’ Automated Ball Wash and Management System for golf course superintendents.
Monday, May 22
- The New York State Turfgrass Association’s Registered Apprenticeship Program has been approved by the New York State Department of Labor, following a thorough review on May 9, 2023. The NYSTA’s newest workforce initiative
is a Registered Apprenticeship Program for golf courses, sports turf and equipment technicians in New York. The program is an industry-driven, high-quality career pathway designed to help employers develop and prepare their future workforce while
providing individuals with paid work experience, classroom instruction, and a nationally recognized credential.
- Casa Verde Golf, an industry-leader in golf course construction and renovation, recently welcomed Arthur Schaupeter as Vice President. Schaupeter will oversee projects for the boutique golf course construction and construction management
company. Casa Verde Golf will utilize Schaupeter’s vast knowledge of golf course architecture to help manage renovation projects, liaise with architects and brainstorm solutions for clients.
Friday, May 26
- This week, the USGA welcomed its largest class of P.J. Boatwright Jr. interns to the annual Boatwright Summit as the organization kicks off the 32nd year of the career development initiative that provides on-the-job training across the USGA’s network of 58 Allied Golf Associations (AGAs). As part of the organization’s commitment to foster a more inclusive game and connect more individuals to careers in golf, the USGA funds the program, in part through philanthropic contributions, and works closely with AGAs on intern recruitment and training.
- Wesco Turf/Hector Turf, a Toro distributor, is helping provide educational opportunities to the families of fallen and disabled service members in our community by taking part in the Toro Parts for Opportunities drive. Ten percent of all eligible Toro parts sales made between May 30 and June 6, 2023, will be donated to local Folds of Honor scholarship applicants. Folds of Honor is a nonprofit that provides K–12th grade or higher education scholarships to spouses and children of America’s fallen and disabled service members.