September 8, 2023
Editor’s note: The GCM team will be doing our best to maintain an up-to-date feed of announcements on this page. If you have news you think belongs here, please email Scott Hollister.
Thursday, September 28
- The Virginia Golf Hall of Fame announced its 2023 class of inductees, including Peter McDonough, recipient of GCSAA's 2016 President’s Award for Environmental Stewardship. Learn more about McDonough and his fellow inductees at the Virginia Golf Hall of Fame website.
- The Michigan State University Libraries’ Turfgrass Information Center is making the Turfgrass Information File database publicly available. This database, which is a cooperative project of the United States Golf Association (USGA) and the Turfgrass Information Center, can be openly accessed at https://tic.msu.edu/tgif. The TGIF database indexes material from a wide variety of sources including governments, higher learning institutions, professional organizations and private publishers.
Tuesday, September 26
- The USGA announced that Scioto Country Club, in Columbus, Ohio (Bob Becker, CGCS, superintendent), Oak Tree National, in Edmond, Okla., (Gus Rodda, Class A superintendent) and Crooked Stick Golf Club, in Carmel Ind. (Jacob Gargasz, Class A superintendent), will be the host sites for the U.S. Senior Open Championship in 2026, 2027 and 2028, respectively. Each club has previously hosted the championship. Scioto also will host the 2036 U.S. Amateur Championship.
Tuesday, September 19
- Mid-America Golf and Landscape, a leading name in golf course construction and renovation, proudly announces the appointment of Jason Lewis, PhD, as their new Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Golf and specialty projects. With a storied
history at Mid-America, Jason brings a wealth of experience and expertise to his new role.
- SiteOne Landscape Supply introduces LESCO Three-Way LO, a low odor selective herbicide that offers strong weed control power with less odor — benefitting both contractors and customers. The new control product uses three active
ingredients, 2,4-D, MCPA and Dicamba, to provide comprehensive post-emergent control of a variety of hard-to-kill broadleaf weeds such as clover, dandelion, henbit and plantains. Three-Way LO is now available on SiteOne.com.
Monday, September 18
- Audubon International welcomes Black Desert Resort, a sustainability-driven golf, lodging, recreation and residential community near St. George, Utah, as a registered member of its Audubon International Signature Sanctuary Program.
Over the coming months, Black Desert will work closely with Audubon International’s team of environmental specialists to formulate a plan to earn property-wide designation as a Platinum Certified Signature Sanctuary, starting with its 19-hole
championship golf course. The late Tom Weiskopf’s final design, which winds through a tableau of red rocks and black lava fields, opened to rave reviews in May 2023. The course will host an annual PGA Tour event starting in September 2024
and an LPGA event starting in 2025.
- AMGUARD Environmental Technologies announced two key commercial appointments to bolster its commitment to serving US Turf and Landscape customers. Linda Satter has joined AMGUARD as Key Account Manager. Larry Lennert has been promoted
from Regional Sales Manager to U.S. Turf & Landscape Technical Solutions Manager.
- Eric Dusa, CGCS, from Marlboro County Golf and Recreational Complex in Bennettsville, SC, has joined the board of the Carolinas Golf Course Superintendents Association as a presidential appointment. Dusa, 51, fills a seat left vacant
by James Huntoon, who is now associate professor of golf and sports turf at Horry-Georgetown Technical College in Conway, SC.
Friday, September 15
- Albaugh Specialty Products announced EPA registration of Ethofumesate 4SC Select herbicide for pre- and post-emergent control of Poa annua, plus broad-spectrum control of grass and broadleaf weeds. Featuring a high concentration of
active ingredient with low use rates, Ethofumesate 4SC Select is effective for control of Poa annua (Annual Bluegrass) on golf courses and lawns, according to the company. Its water-based 4SC formula is safe on labeled cool-season grasses and
several warm season turf species.
Thursday, September 14
- The PGA of America announced today that Sunriver Resort in Sunriver, Oregon, will host the PGA Cup, Senior PGA Professional Championship and Women’s PGA Cup in 2024. The PGA Cup will take place Sept. 9-15 on Sunriver’s
Meadows course followed by the Senior PGA Professional Championship Sept. 26-29 on the Meadows and Woodlands courses. The Women’s PGA Cup will be contested Oct. 1-5 on the Meadows course.
Tuesday, September 12
- The USGA announced that Prairie Dunes Country Club, in Hutchinson, Kan., will be the host site for the 2029 U.S. Senior Open and 2032 U.S. Senior Women’s Open. They will be the ninth and 10th USGA championships held at the club
and the first since 2006.
Monday, September 11
- Previously only available for online sales, Back Nine Boys, LLC, makers of Spray Caddie Golf Cup Covers, announces an agreement with Mattison Turf Works to distribute the Spray Caddie product line to golf course customers in Oregon.
Read more on the company’s website.
Thursday, September 7
- Advanced Turf Solutions is pleased to welcome Chad Hauth to the team as a sales manager. Chad is based in Chicago and will manage ATS sales representatives serving the golf market in his region. Hauth brings more than 25 years of
industry experience to his new role as golf sales manager.
Tuesday, September 5
- Audubon International announced winners in several categories for its 7th Annual BioBlitz competition, which took place in June. The popular event played out across the United States and Canada as hundreds of nature lovers of every
stripe, from club members to school kids to local environmental groups, came together to observe more than 3,000 species of flora and fauna thriving on Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary for Golf-certified courses. Read the full release here.